(416) 642-0460 Ext. 267
Andrew is the managing partner of Pinto Wray James LLP. He brings a strong client focus to his work, seeking practical resolutions to complex legal issues. Andrew is fluent in English, French and Spanish and serves clients of diverse backgrounds.
Andrew practices primarily in the areas of civil litigation, labour and employment, long-term disability benefits, human rights and administrative law.
Andrew appears regularly before various levels of Federal and Provincial Courts and Tribunals for a wide range of clients on actions, injunctions, motions, applications, and appeals. He represents both applicants and respondents in applications for judicial review.
Some examples of Andrew’s recent work for clients include cases involving:
- Disabled persons in long-term disability coverage disputes with public and private insurers.
- Employees and employers in complex human rights proceedings before the Ontario and Canadian Human Rights Tribunals.
- Several small and medium sized businesses before government regulatory bodies to protect their right to do business.
- Numerous employers and employees in wrongful and constructive dismissal matters.
- Property owners in real estate litigation matters involving insurance companies, businesses and individuals before the Ontario Municipal Board and the Courts.
- Obtaining and defending against Court Injunctions in property and employment law matters.
- Partners and shareholders in the midst of potential or active business disputes.
- Investors seeking redress for economic losses.
- A respondent in a Judicial Review Application before the Federal Court of Appeal regarding a decision of the Pensions Appeal Board.
- An applicant in a Judicial Review Application before the Ontario Divisional Court regarding a labour matter.
Andrew has also presented at and chaired numerous programs on the topics of litigation and court procedure, workplace law, human rights and administrative law. He has instructed lawyers and clients about developments in these areas of law.
Some examples of Andrew’s recent work in the legal community include:
- Presenting a paper at the Law Society of Upper Canada’s “Six-Minute Administrative Law Lawyer” every year since 2009 on the judicial review of administrative tribunal decisions including a detailed survey of recent case law.
- Presenting a paper at the Law Society of Upper Canada’s Employment Law conference titled “Using the Changes to the Rules of Civil Procedure Strategically”.
- Presenting a paper at the Canadian Institute’s Fundamentals of Administrative Law & Practice on Appeals, Judicial Review and Standard of Review in 2010 and 2011.
- Co-chairing the Ontario Bar Association’s annual conference on Human Rights Law four years in a row (2008-2011).
- Representing the OBA as a Member of the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario’s Practice Advisory Committee which advises the HRTO regarding policies, practices, rules, practice directions and services as they relate to the Tribunal’s mandate to provide a fair, just and expeditious process for the resolution of proceedings before it.
- Past chair of the Administrative Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association where he is actively involved in various initiatives.
- Prepared a submission on behalf of the Ontario Bar Association to a Standing Committee of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario.